[WEB4LIB] learning db programming- tips

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Thu Apr 21 12:16:13 EDT 2005

I realize the message below may spawn a string of messages from LAMP
(linux, apache, mysql, php or other favorite 'p' language - perl,
python) adherents, but I wanted to chime in and say that there is still
a lot to be said for exposing "desktop" databases on the web -- for
example, FileMaker Pro. These can be dead easy to get going and provide
a familiar windowed interface to managing the database. Whereas many
people would run screaming into the night when faced with raw MySQL or
even MySQL front-ends like phpMyAdmin, this may provide a useable
solution. In other words, solve simple problems simply, and only get
more complex as your needs demand.
Roy