more on remote authentication issue

Sandra Cahillane scahilla at baypath.edu
Thu Apr 14 07:38:25 EDT 2005

Thank you to all who responded so far.  This is very helpful.

Our first choice is to use ezproxy.  It sounds like we could do that on a
separate machine with linux.  The only problem is the pc we use.  Our old
server is an option but would it really be reliable enough to convert to
the proxy given that we just replaced it with the brand-new server?  It is
also an IBM but probably between 7 and 8 years old.  Is it worth it to try
and keep it in service?  Or should I try and wrangle a newer, older pc out
of our IT department (no offense to IT people, but I'm guessing you
propably know how this goes)?

I'm including my first message below for those of you who may not have seen
it:

"We just purchased a lovely, new IBM server with AIX on it.  Sadly, ezproxy
no longer maintains software for this platform.  We would very much like to
be our own proxy server for remote authentication.  I would love any and
all ideas and suggestions (or workarounds for ezproxy) that people could
suggest as possible solutions for remote authentication for a unix box for
a non-programmer systems administrator.

I am familiar with cgi-scripts.  Would a cgi-script work for remote access?
Primarily what I want is a seamless, one click authentication process for
users that will direct them to the correct page (database listing or remote
access logon page)  depending on whether they are on-campus or off."

Thanks again,

Sandy Cahillane
Systems and Reference Librarian
Bay Path College