[WEB4LIB] handout printing tips

Marsha Miller libmill at isugw.indstate.edu
Wed Sep 15 12:31:03 EDT 2004

for years we have used a simple product i first found in the paperdirect
catalog called Clickbook, available from bluesquirrel. we started using
it to print booklets [it automatically printed out from our double-sided
copier ready to staple but you can set other printing settings]. as
technological demands increased so did this product. now you can save
one or more!!! web pages into a booklet, handout, etc. you can save the
result as a re-printable document or you can create a new document on
demand. it is amazing and not expensive. it doesn't format it; you set
up the formatting and then it fits the document into whatever printing
item [full page, booklet, brochure, etc.] you choose. it has never let
me down.
http://www.bluesquirrel.com/

==================================

Marsha Miller
Reference/Instruction Department
Indiana State University
Terre Haute IN 47809
812 237 2606
812 237 2567 [fax]
http://library.indstate.edu
+"The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise.+
+The only appropriate state of the heart is joy." +

>>> Nina McHale <nlm25 at georgetown.edu> 9/3/2004 12:52:23 PM >>>

Greetings, all,

Can anyone share some tips about making web documents print neatly as
8.5 x 11 handouts?  We maintain a couple dozen subject guides and we're

reconsidering the format. The current web format of the guides, which
print fine on 8.5 x 11, looks like this:

http://www.library.georgetown.edu/guides/africanamerican/index.htm

And we're considering switching to this to make them match the template

of our website:

http://www.library.georgetown.edu/guides/chemistry/index.htm

Mozilla's "shrink to fit" option truncates the images, and I'd prefer
avoid a browser-specific fix, anyway.  We also don't want to maintain
both an HTML and a .pdf file for each guide.  Is there something simple

in the code of our current format (I wasn't here when they were
designed) that makes them word wrap neatly onto a print copy?

Reply to me, and I'll summarize if there's interest.

Thanks in advance,

Nina

Nina McHale
Reference Librarian/Web Services Coordinator
Lauinger Library
Georgetown University