[WEB4LIB] Best terminology for OPAC searches?

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Sep 8 14:51:32 EDT 2004

> (1) Keyword searches
> Which is best:
> Title  or  Title Keyword(s)  or  Title Words
> or ...?

Title Contains Words?

> Title (exact)  or  Title Phrase  or  Title begins with...
> or ...?

Note that Powell's takes a different approach:

http://www.powells.com/search.html

You might write them and ask them how that's working out for them... I think
that's an interesting approach.

> (3) Designating a telnet version of the catalog
> Which is best:
> telnet  or  text-based  or  command-line  or terminal-style
> or ...?

Who is this for?

> There is plenty of literature on OPAC displays and design, but I've found
> very little on the terminology used in the catalog.

Oh, but everyone already knows how to use OPACs anyway, because they're so
user-friendly! ;)

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com