[WEB4LIB] Best terminology for OPAC searches?

Paula Edmiston paula at edmiston.org
Wed Sep 8 13:30:27 EDT 2004

On Wed, September 8, 2004 11:33 am, John Kupersmith said:
> (1) Keyword searches
> Which is best:
> Title  or  Title Keyword(s)  or  Title Words
> or ...?

I hate to reveal my ignorance but here goes ....

What is the difference between "title keywords" and "title words"? Is
"title keywords" a boolean OR and "title words" a boolean AND?

> (2) Exact searches
> Which is best:
> Title (exact)  or  Title Phrase  or  Title begins with...
> or ...?

What is the difference between "Title(exact)" and "title phrase"? Is the
"exact" a literal string search, as if using quotes? And isn't that what a
"phrase" search is? Allowing you to type the title string in without the
quotes? I think I get the "begins with"!

>>snip<<

Thank you for your patience.
paula

----