[WEB4LIB] using direct URL

David King DavidKing at kclibrary.org
Thu Oct 7 14:34:07 EDT 2004

We have pointed customers to a direct webpage on our site, rather than
to our main URL only. For example, if we were writing about our local
history database, we'd direct people to "kclibrary.org/localhistory" -
and leave out the "www" and the "index.cfm" or whatnot - just the
easiest, most memorable way to get to the page. Our customers tend to
appreciate it.

What's the reasoning behind NOT wanting to use a direct URL? You're
right in that when using main site URLs, you'd have to then say "click
here, find the third link there," etc. Not terribly user-friendly! And
if you don't provide those directions, you have to have a way for users
to find the info on the main page of your site, be that a link or a
larger graphics-heavy web ad. Otherwise, most library web users won't
find the page (that'd be our case, anyway).

David King
Kansas City Public Library
816-701-3400, ext. 2503
davidking at kclibrary.org