[WEB4LIB] RE: Fwd: TECH: Computers keep rebooting-Help!

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Oct 20 11:55:58 EDT 2004

> 	>I have a bank of 8 computers in the library.  Since the first
> day of
> 	>school this year, they have all started randomly rebooting. It

Note: this thread is somewhat off-track for Web4Lib--PUBLIB or a technical
list would be more appropriate.

That said, I have seen this happen due to software used to secure PCs, such
as Fortres. The machines would mysteriously reboot and blue screen,
sometimes while people were working on Word documents (really bad news). And
yes, though the post says it happens even when other computers are swapped
in, I am still suspicious--my hunch is when these machines are moved into
place ("set up"), someone behind the scenes adds them to a network group
with different permissions.

It required... I don't recall, a software patch or a tweak or a file that
needed to be opened. Get the person who configured these machines to check
the knowledge database for the security software, and to enable logging on
at least one machine. Also, try to get the machine to reboot while you're
there and write down any error codes you see on the screen.

At the very least, make sure to rule this out. It drove us crazy.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com