[WEB4LIB] RE: Fwd: TECH: Computers keep rebooting-Help!

Brandon Dennis bdennis at shreve-lib.org
Wed Oct 20 09:48:50 EDT 2004

If they're ONLY rebooting in one location but working fine every where
else, of course the first thing is to check what's different.

Most likely it's voltage fluctuations (not necessarily surges).  I would
suggest putting a UPS on one of the computers and testing it out - UPS
will regulate the voltage and provide additional power from battery to
compensate.

If that doesn't work, I would look at the Network Card (especially if it
wasn't hooked up in the different "test" location).  A common source of
weird problems.  Set up the computers in the library and don't connect
the network cable and see if they continue to crash when loading word.

If it's happening only when loading applications, however, I would
suggest that the power is not regulated and the voltage is falling
slightly causing the computer to lose just enough to crash.  :)

Brandon