UNLV Libraries launch Millionth Volume web exhibit

beden at ccmail.nevada.edu beden at ccmail.nevada.edu
Tue Oct 19 13:52:11 EDT 2004

UNLV Libraries launch Millionth Volume exhibit

In April 2004 the UNLV Libraries reached a landmark in its history, its one
millionth volume.  To celebrate and mark this event a volume was specially
purchased, chosen for its significance as a book, as an artifact of the
culture of printing, and for its relevance to our library, our university,
and our intellectual and cultural community in Las Vegas, Nevada.  A vast
historical work, published in Madrid in 1601-1615, chronicling the Spanish
exploration, conquest, and settlement of the New World was chosen, Antonio
De Herrera's Historia General de los hechos de los Castellanos en las islas
I tierra firme Del mar océano. . Desde el año de 1492 hasta el de 1531 [The
General History of the Deeds of the Castilians in the Isles and Mainland of
the Ocean Sea.]

The online exhibit explores the world of Antonio Herrera and the later
history and exploration of the American southwest with books and maps from
Special Collections. The originals, including Herrera's Historia, are
currently on exhibit in Special Collections.

This web exhibit, a joint collaboration between the UNLV Libraries Special
Collections Department and the Web and Digitization Services (WDS)
Department, is available for viewing directly at
http://www.library.unlv.edu/wds/millionth/index.html, or through the WDS
webpage at http://www.library.unlv.edu/wds/.