Using private blog for library intranet?

Michael McCulley drweb at san.rr.com
Fri Oct 15 01:42:19 EDT 2004

Posted to cross-lists; apologies if you see more than once..

With the increase in blogging software, including open source, and the
growing use of Intranets in libraries,
I was wondering if anyone is using or has tried using a blog or blogs in a
private way for their intranet, or
any part of an intranet.

Like perhaps other governmental or institutional libraries, we have a
difficult time being on the leading
edge of much technology once you factor in the approval and review process,
bidding, RFPs, costs,
and other factors. Many of the services we are drawn to today to help
overcome this barrier to innovation
seem to be the "hosted" version of applications; our Calendar of Events, for
example, was up and running
within days of signing up.

I'm exploring the "private blogs for communication or information-sharing
via an intranet" arena since I think
we would benefit from an intranet and a blog, though we have neither. It
would be a hosted blog (intranet stand-in),
rather than something on internal or organizational servers.

Any tips, sites, or thoughts welcomed.. here or directly. I'll summarize for
the list if there's interest.

Best regards,

P. Michael McCulley aka DrWeb
 E-mail: drweb at san.rr.com San Diego, CA
 San Diego Public Library / *speaking only for himself*