[WEB4LIB] RE: Moveable Type for Libraries

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 7 22:36:47 EST 2004

Nov 7, 2004

Hi Blake et al,

As a WordPress user, I can confirm that WordPress is not immune to comment
spam. It's also a big problem. WordPress users who have comment moderation
turned on can catch all this stuff and delete it, but it's a tedious job.
There's supposed to be a semi-automated way to do this from WordPress called
Mass Edit Mode, but I haven't gotten it to work. Might be something to do
with my shared server hosting environment (a wild guess). WordPress users
have also come up with some interesting hacks and plugins to this PHP
software. The so-called "gold" release of Version 1.3 due any day now is
also supposed to have better comment spam killing capabilities.

WordPress, compared to MT (at least the older 2.x Perl versions), is very
simple to install and upgrade. If you customize your index.php file,
however, you have to redo those modifications whenever you upgrade. I guess
that would hold true for most any software.

I'm hoping to find an easy to install RSS/Atom aggregator that would let me
subscribe to and read RSS/Atom feeds from within the WordPress Admin
interface and then blog those, just as can be done with Radio UserLand.
Unless I'm missing something, one of the big disadvantages to using
Web-based aggregation services such as Bloglines is that you can't blog to a
site that's external to Bloglines except by copying/pasting the information
from the Bloglines popup window to your own blog's posting window.

David Mattison
Victoria, BC, Canada
dmattison at shaw.ca
Tiki Wiki Hut: http://www.davidmattison.ca/tiki