[WEB4LIB] RE: Moveable Type for Libraries

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sun Nov 7 22:15:39 EST 2004

> I'm running a bit behind on my WEB4LIB reading, sorry to be so late on
> this one.
> We host several library blogs on LISHost, 2 are using different
> authentication schemes, IP and login.
> Movable Type, at least the old versions

As stated earlier, MT 3.1 and higher handles comment authentication
elegantly. The spammers largely leave in a day or two when they realize they
can't automatically post spam to your blog. I get a couple spams per day,
none of which appear on my blogs because I simply do not approve them. Also,
authenticated Typekey users can post automatically, and because I get
emailed notification of nonauthenticated comments, I can post them as soon
as I see them.

That means that the license-based version of MT is in TCO terms much cheaper
than the "free" version, because you save all that time. But then, that is
generally true of most supported software.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com