Google Scholar search plugin for Firefox & more

george at library.caltech.edu george at library.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 19 13:52:04 EST 2004

Peter Suber posted the following announcement to SPARC Open Access News.

BioMed Central <http://www.biomedcentral.com/>  has developed a Google
Scholar search plugin
<http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/about/toolbar/firefox#scholar>  for
Firefox <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/> . (PS: Earlier
<http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_11_14_fosblogarchive.html#a1100
62361147911151>  this week, BMC released a BMC-search plugin
<http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/about/toolbar/firefox>  for Firefox.)

--
Posted by Peter Suber to Open Access News
<http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2004_11_14_fosblogarchive.html#11008

Gary Price weighed in on ERIL-L this morning regarding the search plugin
euphoria this week.  Paraphrasing, with permission:

A free toolbar called NeedleSearch allows you to add the search
functionality of ANY web search tool to the Firefox toolbar with just A
SINGLE click. It couldn't be easier. It's also then possible to
manipulate the search url to add limits, etc.

More about NeedleSearch:
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3307551

Gary's also "tweaked" NeedleSearch to limit to only Open WorldCat
records via Yahoo.  Details in this post, in the section labeled Update:
http://www.resourceshelf.com/2004/11/oclcyahoo-toolbar.html
===============

For those wanting to keep abreast of a broad range of media coverage on
Google Scholar, Scopus, RedLightGreen, and YahooOCLC, consider dropping
by SPARC Open Access News (SOAN)
<http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html> or subscribing to an
RSS feed (Atom Feed, Feedburner, or Bloglines).  [Full disclosure: I am
a contributor to SOAN, for which I receive the same compensation as I do
for contributing to these discussion groups -- personal satisfaction.]

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA 91125-4300
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681
http://library.caltech.edu
contributor http://stlq.info |
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html