[WEB4LIB] RE: Moveable Type for Libraries

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Nov 8 13:52:36 EST 2004

> I've set up 4 Wordpress blogs, and each time it took me 5-10 minutes. It
> is so easy to install compared with MT 2.6 (I've never used MT 3.1). It
> also seems faster to use in general, without the tedious site rebuilding
> that happened all the time with MT 2.6 (I understand things have gotten
> better with later versions).

Honestly, I do not get paid by Six Apart to post these messages. But yes, as
of 3.11 the site rebuilding (which I never found all that tedious) is a
thing of the past. I also never thought MT was slow. It is my third blogging
product.

I think I am seeing a lot of comparisons for MT 2* and WP on this list
because versions 2* and under are available under CC (e.g. "free" in the
sense that you do not dip into your pocket and take out nickels), but if
you're going toe to toe on current releases, MT 3* spanks WP but good.

One feature I would like to see compared in terms of ease of use, based on
current releases of both products, is predated posts. MT requires twiddling
with cron, which for those of us not adept is a bit of a challenge though
not impossible. (I should point out that securely and successfully
installing anything Perl-based in an hour is a startling achievement for
someone with my limited Perl skills, and probably translates to ten minutes,
including five for making tea, for you adepts.) However, I didn't see this
valuable feature (which next to comment moderation was the second thing I
waited for in 3.1*) listed at all on the Wordpress documentation. (Editing a
timestamp is also in MT and is a no-brainer, but it's not the same.) Is it
just one of those items the WP folk haven't documented well, in the
time-honored manner of free stuff? (From the WP FAQ: "Why do some question
[sic] have no answers? [Answer:] That's life." Followed by a number of
questions with ellipses for answers.)  Or is it a missing feature?

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com