[WEB4LIB] RE: Moveable Type for Libraries

lists at lisnews.com lists at lisnews.com
Mon Nov 8 07:47:24 EST 2004

Thanks Karen for pointing out the newer MT versions have better prtection
against SPAMMERS. At this point I've only read about the new MT goodies.

> As a WordPress user, I can confirm that WordPress is not immune to comment
> spam. It's also a big problem. WordPress users who have comment moderation
> turned on can catch all this stuff and delete it, but it's a tedious job.

Like David points out, all of the more popular blogging packages will have
SPAM troubles. The process MT goes through to post a comment is
computationally VERY expensive, that is, every time the mt comments file
is hit I can see it taking up a rather significant amount of processesor
power. The same is not true for WP, at least at this point. That's
probably just something sysadmins need to worry about, but it is something
to keep in mind.

> WordPress, compared to MT (at least the older 2.x Perl versions), is very
> simple to install and upgrade.

Yes WP is a breeze to install compared to the older MT versions. I've
installed both systems more times than I can count and WP wins hands down
on ease of install. The majority of the sites we host have one or the
other running now.

-Blake