[WEB4LIB] A question about what students faculty are really using

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Nov 26 08:49:41 EST 2004

Stephen.Barnett at cdu.edu.au wrote:
> J Regazzi story of surveying scientists and academic librarians to
> see what each said were the "top scientific and medical search
> resources that they use or are aware of.[a0] The difference is
> startling"

Perhaps this is not so startling.  For every 1000 questions I have,
maybe 900 are easily answered by the dictionaries and encyclopedias on
my own bookshelf.  The next 90 are easily answered by Google.  The
last 10 are those I might bring to the library.  This makes Google the
most powerful "search resource" for me, but not for the librarian.

These numbers are just taken out of the blue, but the example
illustrates how hard it can be to assess the value of a library.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)