[WEB4LIB] The Anti-Spam SMTP Proxy (ASSP) Server

Robin Boulton rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
Thu Jul 8 17:24:46 EDT 2004

Our consortium just installed the Barracuda spam solution,
http://www.barracudanetworks.com/?a=industry-brains ,  (based on the
satisfactory experience of a sister consortium nearby). It's a combo
hard/software solution; it's teachable, and employs a variety of spam
blocking methods (I believe - it's administered a the consortium and I have
no hands-on knowledge of its workings). One feature I like is that each use
can have her/his own quarantine box, and you can go through it each day and
tell it what is and is not spam, in your own estimation. It learns to deal
with future emails based on that judgment. You can also maintain your own
blacklists and whitelists, separate of the central administration, if you
choose.
The model we chose cost about $2000; it handles up to 10 million messages a
day and 2000 email users at a time.
I used to get around 15-30 pieces of junk a day, from Nigerian scams to
opportunities to enlarge parts of my body (sometimes even ones I don't
have). Interestingly enough, the directors of each of our 8 member libraries
were getting around 60-80 pieces a day, so some list that all 8 were on must
have been used by a busy spammer.
Since the second day the system was in place I think I have received two
pieces; there have been maybe 5 others the system was unsure of and placed
in my quarantine box. My Director reports receiving only a few in the same
time (about 5-6 weeks now since it was installed).
As I said, I haven't been administering it and I don't know much detail
about the works. But from an end-user view point, and as the point person
for spam complaints in my library, I love it.

Robin Boulton
rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
IT Manager
(630) 584 0076 x 258
St. Charles Public Library District                         Cell:  (630) 918
8738
St. Charles, IL 60174                                             FAX: (630)
584 3448
                        http://www.st-charles.lib.il.us