[WEB4LIB] Re: SRW/U for DSpace

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Thu Dec 16 03:48:05 EST 2004

> Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:24:00 -0800 (PST)
> From: Edward Spodick <lbspodic at ust.hk>
>
>> What does the user gain from using the SRW/U interface over a web opac
>
> At the moment - absolutely nothing.  In fact, I believe they lose
> some functionality.

There is at least one important gain for people who use a lot of
different search services, though, and that is uniformity of
interface.  It pains me that every time I use a new service, I have to
learn a new web GUI, even though 90% of the functionality is the
same.  When a standard network API such as SRW/U or Z39.50 is used, I
can learn _one_ application, and apply that to all services that
support the relevant protocol.  Even when this uniformity is not
exploited by a metasearch engine, that's still a big win.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at indexdata.com>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "I don't see disagreement as a bad thing. It forces me
	 to defend my position.  If I cannot do it satisfactorily,
	 my idea hits the bin.  I see this as good" -- Alan Kent.