[WEB4LIB] Re: SRW/U for DSpace

Edward Spodick lbspodic at ust.hk
Wed Dec 15 23:20:28 EST 2004

At 1:24 PM -0500 14/12/2004, Drew, Bill wrote:
>What does the user gain from using the SRW/U interface over a web opac

At the moment - absolutely nothing.  In fact, I believe they lose some functionality.  That's why most of our users do not even know about that interface alternative.  It is exploratory for us.  It may prove more useful, for example, in a federated searching architecture; or for some other SOAP-based Web services or development projects.  We don't know how this will work out yet, but as it was fairly simple to implement we decided to go ahead and have it available.

-Spode

--
Edward F Spodick, Information Technology Manager
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library