Google scanning library collections

Wilson,Alane wilsona at oclc.org
Tue Dec 14 15:12:01 EST 2004

The 2 companies that have been mentioned as having "hands off"
digitizing capabailities are Kirtas
http://www.kirtas-tech.com/ and 4DigitalBooks
http://www.4digitalbooks.com/default.htm. Google isn't necessarily using
either as reports don't name or describe the machine and it may be a
proprietary development (as mentioned in one report, Google developed a
scanner during its now dormant Google Catalogs project).

Kirtas claims a capture rate of 1200 pages/hour and 4DigitalBooks, 1500
pages/hour. Their web site says one operator can manage four machines.

The New York Times article that first mentioned the Stanford Project
Ocean referred to the "Swiss-designed" robot that could scan pages of
text...that would have been a 4DigitalBooks machine as the Kirtas
machine is based on Xerox PARC technology, according to their web site.

What's most interesting to me are the few reports that note U.S. Patent
Application No. 20040122811, filed by Google co-founder Larry Page
called "Method for Searching Media." InternetNews.com has a good article
here http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/print.php/3446211 titled
"Google Magazine Search?"

Alane Wilson, MLIS
Senior Library Market Consultant