[WEB4LIB] RE: Library News from Google ... *and* UM!

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Tue Dec 14 15:06:35 EST 2004

An article in the Detroit Free Press quotes John Wilkin (UM project
director) as saying:

"Going as fast as we can with the traditional means of doing this, it
would take us about 1,600 years to do all 7 million volumes...Google
will do it in six years. If we were to do this job ourselves, it would
probably cost us $600 million...That's just the human cost of preparing
the material for scanning, packing it up and sending it out to vendors
and then quality-control checking of the results. This is easily a
billion-dollar effort."

The article also hints that Google is using "new technology developed by
Google that greatly speeds the digitizing process."

Free Press article:

http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend14e_20041214.htm

Bernie Sloan