[WEB4LIB] RE: website stats analysis

Norwood, Randy randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Fri Aug 6 15:11:13 EDT 2004

I load my access logs into a MySQL database, partly for the reasons you
mention (more flexibility). I wrote a Perl script that parses and loads
the logs.

The questions you raise about the value of visitors, and how those are
determined, are somewhat complex, and are discussed in detail on various
websites (including webtrends/netiq). I think there is a lot of value in
the number of visits or "sessions". The log analysis tools such as
webtrends use various algorithms and assumptions to reconstruct the path
an user takes through the site during a session. These techniques would
be dfficult to replicate or improve on your own, and there wouldn't be
much point, since the analysis tools already do this about as well as it
can be done.

I can see what you're saying about summaries for visits obscuring the
internal vs external user ratio. You could prefilter your logs (using
Perl or SQL) into a public/staff log and everyone else, and then run
Webtrends on each indivudually. This assumes your campus network's IP
address blocks are assigned by building or some other small unit. If
everyone on campus uses DHCP and shares a common pool of IPs, the best
you might be able to do is on- vs off-campus.

--
Randy Norwood
E-mail: randy.norwood at ttu.edu