[WEB4LIB] IE6's whacky submit buttons

Bob Duncan duncanr at mail.lafayette.edu
Tue Aug 3 17:46:14 EDT 2004

At 01:56 PM 08/03/2004 -0700, Thomas Dowling wrote:
>I've been vaguely bothered by this for quite a while, but it has become
>more of an issue in a design I'm working on.
>
>In IE6 (or at least, IE6 under XP), form submit buttons start to look
>very strange if the input's value attribute exceeds some mysterious
>length.  That is, for something like '<input type="submit"
>value="Search">' you get the nicely rounded and shaded 3D button from
>the standard XP widgets.  But beyond some length, I get a crudely
>magnified button, as though someone loaded the nice native button into a
>cheap image editor and resized it, complete with serious jaggies.

Funny you should mention....

I just started noticing this myself.  I have no solution, but here are some
things I've observed:

-  The crude button only appears that way if you choose an XP theme in the
Display control panel;  if you use the Windows Classic theme in XP the
buttons are the familiar grey with no distortion.  (As they are if you
disable "Enable visual styles..." in Internet Options.)

-  I have a button which does it on one page, but on a different page, that
same button is fine and a different (longer) button is all squirrely.  Odd
seeing as how nothing has changed about the button except its company.

-  I can sometimes (but not always) make a crude button change appearance
by playing with the encoding setting in the browser.  For example, the page
at
<http://www.library.lafayette.edu/search/X?searchtype=X&searcharg=duncan&SORT=D>
shows the crude button ("Save Marked Records") when it loads.  But if I
alter the browser's encoding setting from "Western European (Windows)" to
"Unicode (UTF-8)", the button cleans up.  If I go back to Western European,
the button goes back to crude.  However, on a different page where the auto
select encoding shows as Unicode, there is still a squirrely button.  And
changing the encoding setting on Thomas' example page does nothing.

Beats me.

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan
Systems Librarian