Librarian: Don't use Wikipedia as source

Rich Ackerman richmond at hray.com
Wed Aug 25 13:00:03 EDT 2004

 From the Post-Standard:

Wednesday, August 25, 2004
AL FASOLDT
STAFF WRITER

In a column published a few weeks ago by my companion Dr. Gizmo, readers
were urged to go to the Wikipedia Web site at www.wikipedia. org/wiki/Main
Page , an online encyclopedia, for more information on computer history.
The doctor and I had figured Wikipedia was a good independent source.

Not so, wrote a school librarian who read that article. Susan Stagnitta,
of the Liverpool High School library, explained that Wikipedia is not what
many casual Web surfers think it is.

full article:

http://www.syracuse.com/technology/poststandard/fasoldt/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1093338972139211.xml

I thought Gerry & others might find this interesting. It highlights the
problem of authority in wikis, one reason that a wiki is probably not
appropriate for scholarly communication.

Rich Ackerman