[WEB4LIB] RE: Online peer-review publishing and post-peer rev iew

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Wed Jan 15 12:09:08 EST 2003

A very good question with a complex answer.  (that I might not sufficiently
answer here)

Say you are a new student or not very familiar with the subject area of that
which has been published, you read the article and it makes enough sense to
you that you accept the author's thesis. You then proceed to the post-peer
review section and the first review/discussion of the article says the
author is a fraud and perhaps provides seemingly irrefutable proof to that
effect.  Now what?  Do you merely ignore the article and assume your
acceptance of the thesis was wrong?

To make a contrived argument as an example:
The author's thesis is stated thusly: prevailing wisdom says gravity affects
different weights differently; if I drop a 1 ounce feather and a 5 pound
rock from the same height the rock will hit the ground first. However I
think this is not so; I have tested this several times with a 1 ounce weight
and a 5 pound weight and both hit the ground at the same time, please see
attached video for confirmation of my thesis. [attached video does, in fact,
show both items dropped from same height and both landing at the same time].
The first review/discussion states: the author is a misguided crank. He used
differently sized containers of the same weight to achieve his results.
Plus I'm a member of [pick a group that people implicitly trust] that most
people recognize as honest, so you know I'm right.
So, how does a person not steeped in the discipline know who to believe?  We
all probably have our own opinion about the example above and were we all to
"moderate" the discussion that would follow a possible consensus could be
derived.  Most likely several other moderators would replicate the
experiment to attempt to disprove or support the thesis and would then post
their results and add to the discussion, which could mitigate the "first
post" conundrum.  These follow on replications would, in a perfect world, be
assigned more significance than that of the first poster who merely says
"that ain't so" and provides no evidence to support the claim.

The moderation would be more to assign significance to in-depth discussion
and to marginalize non-constructive commentary.  Assuming a large enough
body of moderators that are active in the discipline (checked upon by a
group of meta-moderators - who are also members of the moderators group but
not allowed to meta-moderate discussions in which they are active) the more
egregious "moderations" will be indicated as such.  Slashdot.org's
moderation system is, loosely, what I was thinking of when mentioning
moderation originally.

-Aaron
:-)'

His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the
Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous
phrase, "You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and
there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."
--Small Gods, Terry Pratchett