[WEB4LIB] Free Live Reference Software

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Fri Jan 3 11:26:18 EST 2003

The best and most recent overview of reference software I've seen is
Buff Hirko's piece in netConnect, see
<http://libraryjournal.reviewsnews.com/
index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA251679>. I don't believe there is
a free option listed, though. Frankly, I'm wondering what anyone would
expect from free software except for something like chat. Although I'm
very much a proponent of open source, my guess is that no one in the
open source community has yet caught up to the commercial outfits in
regards to online reference software, and possibly never will. At least
right now it doesn't seem like much of a horse race.
Roy (disclosure: I'm on the Advisory Board for Docutek, a company with
a live reference product)