[WEB4LIB] electronic collections

Vickie Kline vkline at ycp.edu
Thu Jan 23 17:29:39 EST 2003

Lisa,

We've created separate electronic locations in our online catalog for
each group of electronic resource records (Marcive gov. document
records,  Proquest full-text titles, Gale Expanded Academic ASAP
titles,  netLibrary ebooks, etc.)     This makes it very easy to batch
load, overlay or purge specific groups of records without endangering
the rest of your catalog!    For aggregators  who add and drop full-text
titles frequently, we're starting to purge and load new records on a
monthly basis!

Here's our catalog:
    https://unicorn.ycp.edu/uhtbin/cgisirsi/x/0/49

Look under the search button for a pull-down that says "ALL"  - you can
change that to "Schmidt Electronic Resources" to do some searching for
sample records.

As you've discovered, the thing that vendor records don't hand well with
is changes in available data ranges for full-text serials in aggregator
databases.   We too  use a serials management solution;  TDnet provides
our primary serial holding list:
    http://www.tdnet.com/york/
TDnet does their best to keep track of all the pesky embargoes for us!

It's not a perfect solution, but we feel it's the most practical way to
deal with batches of electronic resources at the moment.

The next step will be  metasearchers  that can be targetted at desired
z39.50 and non-Z sources.   A lot of vendors have introduced first
generation products in this area, but I haven't seen any truly catch
fire yet...   Maybe we'll see one at ALA  Midwinter!

Cheers!

Vickie

Vickie L. Kline              		vkline at ycp.edu
Head of Technical Services		Phone:  717-815-1459
Associate Professor        		FAX:    717-849-1608

York College of PA - Schmidt Library
York, PA 17405-7199

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would
not be called research, would it?"

			-Albert Einstein