[WEB4LIB] electronic collections

John Creech John.Creech at cwu.EDU
Wed Jan 22 17:38:02 EST 2003

> We are revising some of our subject pages... and thinking of putting a
> database behind this to power it. It would list resources (indexes,
> databases most likely), url's and then relate those to a subject (or many
> subjects).

Hi Lisa.  IMO East Carolina University's Joyner Library has done an
outstanding job with their Pirate Source service:

http://systems.lib.ecu.edu/piratesource/

It uses a combination of a mySQL database and PHP programming, I believe,
to deliver resources to the browser.  It looks good, it's fast and it's
just really well done.

We're thinking along a similar track here, too, and Pirate Source is a
fine model.  We use mySQL/PHP for our full text titles list, and have
something currently offline till upgraded that we call the Database
Navigator, which matches databases to campus programs.  We'd like to
combine our static subject guides with our Dbase Navigator, hang the full
text titles list on it somehow, and come up with a product similar to
ECU's.

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 |
office - 509.963.1081 || fax - 509.963.3684
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu