[WEB4LIB] RE: MySQL + Apache/Debian Linux - favorite development

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Wed Jan 22 00:52:02 EST 2003

> From: Lori Bowen Ayre
> > We're just getting started development some MySQL database
> > applications and are wondering what development tools you like
> > best.  Our web host supports PHP so we'll be using that and
> > we're running on Debian/GNU Linux with an Apache web server.

What specifically do you require besides a good text editor and
a GUI interface to MySQL?

> > Our goal is to quickly put together some applications that
> > staff will use to improve communications and work flow and
> > provide access to shared data.  So ease of programming and
> > clean, easy to read, quickly-executing code are more important
> > than pretty applications but it does need to be a web-app as
> > staff is distributed throughout the state.

There are a *lot* of MySQL/PHP based applications already in
existence (see http://freshmeat.net/ for example).  Of course an
important premise of FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software) is
that existing code bases can be more easily leveraged without
licensing impediments.  Why re-invent the wheel?  :)

> > Reply to LBAyre at galecia.com.  I'd like to hear what tools you
> > recommend and why.  Thanks!
> >
> > Lori Ayre

Mailing lists (similar to FLOSS itself) are about sharing
knowledge -- that is why netiquette dictates that I post back to
the mailing list from which I received the original post  :)

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 07:27:02PM -0800, Pons, Lisa (PONSLM) imagined:
>  We've just started using naviCAT, which is part of mySQL
>  studio. It is a graphical environment for mysql databases.
>
> http://www.mysqlstudio.com/index.php
>
> Trial download, and an educational discount.

Come on, we're not in windoze-world anymore Dorothy -- we want
free (as in beer :) software.

Since you're running Debian GNU/Linux (the best!), try running:
  apt-cache search mysql |grep mysql |less
or some variation on this theme.

This should provide some inspiration for further research at the
very least  ;)

Cheers,
Raymond
--
"You deserve to be able to cooperate openly and freely with other
people who use software.  You deserve free software."