[WEB4LIB] Intranet Content Management System recommendations, Please... (sorry for

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Thu Sep 26 19:53:05 EDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 10:19:11AM -0700, DCammack at Loeb.com imagined:
> For those on the list in law firms:
>
> What Content Management Systems are your firms using.  I need
> recommendations.  Our IT department is recommending Zope with
> a Plone front-end sitting on a Linux box.  I have found that
> both Zope and Plone have limited, if any, documentation and
> aren't easily customized.

I believe this is simply incorrect.  The informal research I
have done indicates that Zope is in fact almost completely
customizable, provided someone has the necessary scripting
skills to accomplish this task  :)

As someone else mentioned in a reply today, someone will have to
know (or learn) the python scripting language for best results.
Alternatively, I seem to recall there is a native/custom Zope
scripting language (DTML as I recall) that can be used as well.

As to documentation, again I don't know how you came to your
conclusion above.  Amongst other things there is a free online
book.  See:
  http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/index_html
That should be good for a start  :)

In closing my gut feeling is that, depending on your specific
requirements, your IT people may be right on the money.  You may
want to listen to what they have to say with an open mind.  I
think a lot depends on whether you have the necessary human
resources to script a working infrastructure.  After that is in
place, the whole point of Content Management Systems such as
Zope are that they are user-friendly for content
maintainers/authors.

My $0.02,
Raymond
--
"You deserve to be able to cooperate openly and freely with other
people who use software.  You deserve free software."