Web Search Engines

Brian Kelly b.kelly at ukoln.ac.uk
Wed Sep 4 04:49:41 EDT 2002

> Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:52:16 -0700
> From: Avi Rappoport <avi-list at searchtools.com>
> To: garyp at itd.umd.edu,
> Subject: Re: Web Search Engines
>
> At 2:52 PM -0700 9/1/02, garyp at itd.umd.edu wrote:
> >We are looking to replace our current search engine for the
> libraries'
> >web site (provided by the campus) with one that is locally run and
> >configured. The one we use will need to be open source and run on a
> >Solaris platform. I have downloaded htdig, which I like,
> except that it
> >doesn't support phrase searching (though it is suppossed to be
> >available in the beta version).
> >
> >Are there any open source web search engines that you have installed
> >and are happy with?  Thanks in advance.
>
> You have more choices than you think: ASPSeek, mnoGoSearch, SWISH-E
> and more will compile and run on Solaris.  Take a look at
> <http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-opensource.html> for listings.
>
> Avi

Hi Gary
   I carry out a regular survey of search engine sused in UK University
Web sites.  Details are available at:
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/surveys/uk-he-search-engines/
   ht://Dig is the most popular.  Google is growing in popularity, and a
number of universities are now using 2 search engines, typically
ht://Dig and Google.
See
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/surveys/uk-he-search-engines/2002-06/#s
ummary
   There don't appear to be any open source solutions which are widely
used.

Brian

PS On the subject of ht://Dig, is anyone using he facility to index
Dublin Core (and arbitrary) metadata, which is available in the latest
version?

Brian Kelly
UK Web Focus
UKOLN