[WEB4LIB] identifying links

Rachel Singer Gordon rsinger at linc.lib.il.us
Wed Sep 18 13:56:11 EDT 2002

You could probably use a link checker like Xenu:
http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html but it would get unwieldy
quickly if you're trying to maintain approve lists (as sites change
the links they host on their pages, deciding how many levels down
you'd want to go,. etc).

- Rachel

>This posting is subsequent to my query yesterday about the problems
>we are
>having trying to administer a managed collection.
>
>Can anyone recommend a tool for examining a site to help identify all
>the
>links to external sites/domains? On some sites you can view source
>code
>(tedious but doable); on others, you cannot. I am looking for a way
>automate the process of harvesting all links to external sites so we
>can
>experiment with examining/approving them and adding them to the
>collection
>if they pass muster.
>
>Many thanks to all who responded to my earlier query. I did pass on
>your
>suggestions to the YS dept.... from whom I have received a resounding
>
>silence...:)
>
>TIA again,
>Robin

>Robin
>Boulton
>rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
>IT
>Manager
>(630)
>584 0076 x 258
>St. Charles Public Library District                         Cell:
>(630)
>918 8738
>St. Charles, IL 60174
>FAX:
>(630) 584 3448
>                         http://www.st-charles.lib.il.us

>Due to deletion of content types excluded from this list by policy,
>this multipart message was reduced to a single part, and from there
>to a plain text message.

---
Rachel Singer Gordon / rsinger at linc.lib.il.us
http://www.franklinparklibrary.org