[WEB4LIB] Internet Plugins

Bill Teschek bteschek at hampton.lib.nh.us
Wed Sep 25 16:59:52 EDT 2002

Brad,
    We use W2K and Deep Freeze on our public machines. I loaded
them up with Microsoft Instant Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger
and Yahoo IM because the kids were just downloading the
programs every day. Made sense to me to have them available on
the desktop preinstalled so they wouldn't have to do that. I logged
into a Yahoo chat room and downloaded their chat applet, and did
the same at www.ichat.com. Go to www.real.com and download
realplayer, then fuss with the settings (especially message center)
so that you can get it into the state you want before you do your
Freeze. Do the same for Shockwave, Quicktime and Windows
Media Player. Be sure to download the latest Adobe Acrobat
Reader, then run it a few times before you freeze because the first
time you use it it may pop up a message asking you if you want to
check for updates. Turn off the feature that has it prompt you to
download updates. The public will only get confused by such
messages. If you have installed the automatic Windows update
feature try and turn this off as well so that the public isn't bugged by
the weekly (and sometimes more often) messages from Microsoft
about the latest bug fix. A couple of image viewers that are good to
have are Alternatiff and Mr. Sid. You can find where to download
those with a Google search.

I also have the following in an accessories folder on the desktop:
Accessiblity options (a control panel feature), Calculator, CD Player,
Character Map, Clipboard Viewer, Microsoft Imaging, Magnifier,
Notepad, Paint, WordPad, Windows Explorer, and Winzip. I put
RealPlayer, Quicktime and Windows Media Player in here as well
rather than on the desktop.

The hardest part of installing all of these with Deep Freeze is to get
them into the state you want. They are often prone to popping up
messages from time to time, or running at computer startup when
you don't want them to. Spend a lot of time on the first machine you
do then put it out for the public to play with for a few weeks so you
can discover all the surprises that await you.

I'd be interested in learning of any other plugins that you or your
other responders feel are very useful.

Bill Teschek
Lane Memorial Library
Hampton, NH