[WEB4LIB] Google News Gets A New Look, More Content

Tara Calishain calumet at Mindspring.com
Mon Sep 23 11:17:38 EDT 2002

A couple of responses to this:

>Fyi. Here is a blurb from my resourceshelf blog about the update to the
>Google
>News beta.
>
>What's Not Available?
>* Advanced Interface
>* Non-English Language Content
>*Ability to Limit from a Specific Source

That's not quite correct. You can use the inurl: syntax with the Google
news search, so
if you know the domain name of your source, you can restrict your search.
For example,
if you wanted to find mentions of Hurricane Isadore across the various CNN
properties,
you could use the search:

"hurricane isadore" inurl:cnn.com

If you wanted to restrict your search to CNN Asia, you could do that too:

"hurricane isadore" inurl:asia.cnn.com

>Other Things To Know
>*You Can Limit To Terms in the Title or Headline by Using the Syntax intitle:
>*Material Archived for One Week, Then Purged From News Database

I don't know what the company line is on this, but I found stuff in the
database from
last August when I was experimenting with it this morning. Do this search
and see
what you get:

"become tropical storm dolly"

Best,