Adobe repositions Acrobat for Web services

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Mon Oct 21 04:46:29 EDT 2002

Interesting news about Adobe and how it's now targeting Acrobat:

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/4331067.htm

<quote>
Adobe launches new direction for Acrobat

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Adobe Systems Inc. on Monday will launch its popular
Acrobat software in a new direction aimed at increasing the use of the
Internet to fill out contracts, tax forms and other key documents.

With the move, San Jose-based Adobe will put its fully loaded Acrobat
package on Web servers that will be licensed to businesses and government
agencies.
</quote>

The news that they're targeting applications such as tax forms processing is
now a decade old.  In 1993 I served on an industry council for Adobe re
Acrobat, and I distinctly remember them joking that if they could capture
the installed base of taxpayers as paying customers they'd be happy.

I've always felt that Acrobat was important and visionary technology and
that it was an odd accident of history that they brought it to market just
as this thing called the Web was about to explode.

/rich