[WEB4LIB] scanning documents, retaining searchability . . .

Patrick Huey phuey at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 18 15:36:24 EDT 2002

We use the DjVu format a lot here - it has good compression and does the
OCR behind the scenes. You can find some open source tools at:

DjVu Zone - http://www.djvuzone.org/
DjVuLibre - http://djvu.sourceforge.net/

Or you can take a look at the commercial products produced by LizardTech
(http://www.lizardtech.com/).

We use it a lot for large maps and for reports that have a mixture of
maps, images, and text. The file sizes always seem to beat Acrobat, but
we've had problems with users not getting the plug-in.

You can see some here: http://njedl.rutgers.edu/njdlib/. Most of our
documents are print (not digitally) born.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Huey
Web Developer, NJEDL