Ancestry Plus

Robin Boulton rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
Fri Oct 18 13:10:00 EDT 2002

We are having trouble with the graphics viewers for Gale's recently
acquired Ancestry Plus genealogical database. Some of the images in the
1930s database require the Mr SID viewer; after downloading and seeing
images in it, we are still frequently prompted to download it again. Images
in the 1920s database require the Advanced Graphics Viewer and although
that installs and runs fine, on our public machines any attempt to scroll
down the web page results in the immediate return of the browser to our
home page, and the loss of the path the user has navigated to get to the
image in question

The repeated requests to download Mr SID occur mostly on public machines
but have happened once or twice on staff machines. The Scrolling a page
that is displaying an image in the Advanced Graphics Viewer works fine on
staff machines, only public machines crash back to the home  page.

All our machines have 128 MB of RAM and are running Windows 2000  Pro. The
staff machines are running PWB 1.26 as the shell. We're still on ver. 5.5
of IE.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to how to fix/avoid this problem.

Thanks,
Robin.

Robin
Boulton
rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
IT
Manager                                                              (630)
584 0076 x 258
St. Charles Public Library District                         Cell:  (630)
918 8738
St. Charles, IL 60174                                             FAX:
(630) 584 3448
                         http://www.st-charles.lib.il.us