[WEB4LIB] Re: Opera 7.0b1 released

Erwin Wodarczak ewodar at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Nov 13 12:42:40 EST 2002

De-lurking for a moment...

Daniel Messer wrote:

> I use Opera almost exclusively at home

Ditto

 and I really can't complain about the
> scheme they use for ads. It's up in the upper right hand corner where I never
> even pay attention to it. I'm usually too busy focusing on the page I'm
> looking at.

Again, ditto.  However, I do notice when the ad window grays-out and the
small-print message (probably mis-quoting from memory) "Click here to
advertise your product on Opera".

Also, remember that you can limit the ads to specific categories that
you might actually be interested in (eg. computers, pets, games, etc.),
thus at least minimizing one's exposure to the evil that is modern
advertising  ;-)

The way I look at it, IE is basically a "loss-leader" for M$ - they can
afford to give it away free since it enhances their public profile and
helps promote their other, money-making products.  The same goes, more
or less, for AOL and Netscape.  Opera, however, is strictly in the
browser business, and they're not a charity operation, so their browser
has to make money somehow.  Hopefully, once their other initiatives
(browsers for PDAs, interactive TV, etc.) begin turning a profit, they
can make the Opera browser a loss-leader as well.  Until then, I have no
problem with their relatively limited and customizable browser-based
advertising.

Hell, if Opera 7 brings proper DOM support, and better support for
plug-ins (eg. am I the only one who's never been able to get Quick Time
to run in Opera 5 or 6?) - if Opera 7 can do that, I might just pay the
registration fee.

Cheers,
Erwin

--