Is PDF Opent (WAS Accessibility annoyance)

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 5 16:24:49 EST 2002

Adobe clearly asserts and claims its ownership and copyright of the
standards that make up the PDF format
<http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/acrosdk/docs/filefmtspecs/PDFReference.pdf>.
This is a problem for many who want to follow open standards.  Others have
similar problems with SOAP or Java, which are other "standards" which are
owned by particular proprietors.

Such ownership is problematic in that it can be unilaterally changed by
the owners without consideration for anyone who may have poured
considerable resources into it.  Ed Dumbill's analysis of the SOAP "open
standard" <http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/04/24/taglines.html> is called
"Kicking out the Cuckoo".

Beware of shareholders bearing gifts.

Chris