[WEB4LIB] Charging for Basic Computer Instruction

Larry Maki lmaki at tnrdlib.bc.ca
Wed Nov 27 17:17:06 EST 2002

I work as a Computer Trainer at our system's main branch in Kamloops,
British Columbia.  We offer a selection of four courses a week from our
current roster of 12 courses.  There is a large demand and attendance is
generally good.  During periods of particularly poor attendence,  such as in
the middle of summer, we have discussed charging for classes.  In exploring
this option we found it would add several layers of administrative work and
would not necessarily improve attendence.  Instead we have sought to educate
patrons by explaining the high demand and that by not attending they are
denying someone the chance to take the course.  Now the majority of patrons
who cannot attend call in advance to let us know so we can offer the space
to someone else.  Additionally, some avid patrons who were unable to
register come by to see if there are any empty seats they can grab at the
last minute.  Our attendence is rarely below 80% and is generally higher.
We have found it worthwhile to remind patrons periodically when they sign up
so that as new people come in they are made aware of the importance of
attendence.