Charging for Basic Computer Instruction

Adam Button abutton at wvpl.org
Wed Nov 27 11:10:44 EST 2002

This message has been posted to Web4lib and PUBLIB-L.
This is the second copy I have sent because I negelcted to include a subject line in the first post.  Sorry.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At the Wissahickon Valley Public Library in Blue Bell, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia, we have offered Basic Computer and Internet skills courses, free of charge, for about two years.  However, as seems to be the experience of
other libraries, while the demand is great and class registrations fill quickly, attendance is anemic at best.

If you coordinate computer instruction for public library patrons (or if not a coordinator could you please forward this message) would you please answer the following questions:

1.  Do you charge a fee or require a deposit for computer instruction? Please specify whether the charge is a fee or a returnable deposit.

2.  If yes, how much do you charge?

3.  How do you justify the charge....covering the cost of hiring an instructor, the cost of materials, etc.?  Please be specific.

4.  Have you found that charging a fee has improved attendance?

Thank you.

Adam Button
Wissahickon Valley Public Library
abutton at wvpl.org