[WEB4LIB] RE: Information Literacy (was Jargon...which was

Kevil, L H. KevilL at missouri.edu
Mon May 20 14:31:03 EDT 2002

Bill,

You are on the side of the angels on this issue and are not playing devil's advocate. Ignoring the distinction between jargon and technical vocabulary, I would think that if a library is to be truly user-oriented, this would extend to the language we use to communicate with the public. (The marketing dept is careful to control how the engineering dept communicates with the public - and no one accuses the engineers of deliberate obfuscation.) The library profession is in the midst of creating new technology to serve our users and to that extent rethinking our role in the information chain. It would be a pity if we passed on the opportunity to create new terminology that users can understand readily.

My humble tuppence ha'penny.

L. Hunter Kevil
Collection Development Librarian
176 Elmer Ellis Library