[WEB4LIB] Filtering in Public Libraries

GraceAnne A. DeCandido ladyhawk at well.com
Thu Mar 21 17:46:13 EST 2002

Excellent information, with lots of links, is available from
the Public Library Association's Tech Note on filtering,
written by Karen Schneider.

http://www.pla.org/publications/technotes/technotes_filtering.html

GraceAnne DeCandido

Michael Perkins wrote on 21 Mar 2002, about [WEB4LIB] Filtering in Public Libraries

> Good Afternoon,
>
> At tonights board meeting is a topic up for public comment
> that is a concern for all public libraries - Filtering.  We
> have a patron that wants every public computer filtered. As
> a rule we filter only the computers located in Youth
> Services and Young Adults (around 47 computers).
>
> I have several questions regarding this issue.
>
> 1. How has filtering been implemented in your library?
> (Certain areas/Library wide) 2. Has there been any
> complaints, for or against filtering? 3. Do you have an
> internet policy and how do you handle individuals that
> violate that policy? 4. What is your institutions overall
> view of filtering?
>
> Any other comments you would like to share would be
> appreciated.  Please respond off list.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Michael Perkins
> Webmaster
> Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library
> http://www.tscpl.org

GraceAnne A. DeCandido, MLS
Blue Roses Consulting ~ Writing ~ Editorial ~ Web Content ~ New York City ~
ladyhawk at well.com ~ http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html

Ten Graces for New Librarians
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/albany.html

Wizards do not lie; words are their tool and currency,
 which they dare not devalue.
 Diane Duane from The Book of Night with Moon