[WEB4LIB] Filtering in Public Libraries

Michael Perkins mperkins at tscpl.lib.ks.us
Thu Mar 21 17:04:50 EST 2002

Good Afternoon,

At tonights board meeting is a topic up for public comment that is a concern
for all public libraries - Filtering.  We have a patron that wants every
public computer filtered. As a rule we filter only the computers located in
Youth Services and Young Adults (around 47 computers).

I have several questions regarding this issue.

1. How has filtering been implemented in your library? (Certain
areas/Library wide)
2. Has there been any complaints, for or against filtering?
3. Do you have an internet policy and how do you handle individuals that
violate that policy?
4. What is your institutions overall view of filtering?

Any other comments you would like to share would be appreciated.  Please
respond off list.

Thank you,

Michael Perkins
Webmaster
Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library
http://www.tscpl.org