FrontPage Web on shared server ... again

Karen Knox kknox at tln.lib.mi.us
Thu Mar 21 12:41:28 EST 2002

Hi all.  I'm still fighting with FrontPage on creating a Web on a shared
drive on our WinNT 4.0 server.  I've made a little "progress," such that I'm
getting a new error message now.  So I thought I'd see if anyone is familiar
with this behavior...

What I've done:
On the server - I created a new folder within a shared drive on the server.
I copied some files from our web site to this new folder.  I've given this
new folder & all files correct permissions.
On my client Win98 workstation - I started up FrontPage.  I did an Open Web
and browsed to this folder's location on the server.  FrontPage tells me
that it needs to add some files in order to convert the directory to a FP
Web.  I say OK.  FP does its thing and successfully opens the Web.

All seems OK.  But then...
I double-click on a filename within the FP Folder List pane so that it will
open for editing, and I get the following error:
	"An error occurred while accessing your FrontPage web files.  Authors - if
authoring against a web server, please contact the webmaster for this site's
server.  Webmasters - please see the server's system log for more details."

Funny, I'd be the webmaster, and I'm clueless.  I don't see any updated
messages in the system log (although I could be looking in the wrong place).

To make it even more complicated, some of the files in the Web actually DO
open successfully.  But most of them do not.  Most of them flag the message
above.  So I don't understand why I'm getting this message, or why it only
affects some of the files and not all of them.

I've been thinking there's a permissions error of sorts, but I am able to
open/view any of the files in the Web successfully using a web browser.  So
I do have access to the file.  So now I'm back to thinking there's a
FrontPage problem.

I'd be most grateful for any ideas on this...  Thanks!

          Karen
Karen C. Knox, MLIS
kknox at tln.lib.mi.us
Head of Systems & Technology