SSL and IIS 5.0

Paul Mills mills at htls.lib.il.us
Mon Mar 18 09:27:32 EST 2002

Hi,

We are trying to set up SSL on a Windows 2000 Server (SP2) box that is
not part of a domain.  We would like to set up one of the websites that
we host to use SSL.  Since we have not done this before, we started
looking for documentation.  We found a Microsoft document entitled
"HOWTO:  Set up SSL Using IIS 5.0 and Certificate Server 2.0" (document
number q299525).  We thought, Bingo!

Here's the url

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299525

Unfortunately, things aren't quite working out right.  :-)

We go through the steps listed in the document, and we roll merrily
along until we get to Number 2, step h.  At this stage, the message we
receive is that a certificate is not there when we open the browser
window and go to the url of our certificate server (which is the same
machine that is hosting IIS).  If we go back to the MMC, we do see that
the certificate has been issued, though.

Any help, thoughts, commentary, etc. would be appreciated.

We have received a recommendation to use Apache, but we're willing to be
stubborn for a bit before giving up on IIS.  :-)

Thanks!

Paul Mills
IT Coordinator
Heritage Trail Library System