[WEB4LIB] satellite connections for bookmobiles/mobile librar y units

Don Bosman Dbosman at MAIL.LIB.MSU.EDU
Fri Mar 8 14:52:34 EST 2002

Well, for one thing there is a .7 second lag in response.
Gaming is out of the question.
Two way satellite has to be installed for you. You can't
just buy a disk and a transceiver and set it up yourself.

A friend of mine, with years of broadband cable experience,
and the knowledge to properly evaluate connection and
connectivity issues, recently switched to satellite internet.
After two months he switched to business DSL.

Just one persons opinion, but as a tech, I respect his opinion.

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Michigan State University Libraries
100 Library
East Lansing, MI 48824-1048
517-353-8586
dbosman at mail.lib.msu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Peggy Shaffer [mailto:pshaffer at lakeshores.lib.wi.us]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 1:58 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [WEB4LIB] satellite connections for bookmobiles/mobile library
units

One of our members has two mobile units that need to be integrated into our
shared automated system (SIRSI) later this year.  We started to think about
satellite communications.

We understand that one provider of software, dishes and installation is
SkySurf PC.  Are there others?

And, how well does satellite communication work?  Comments are appreciated!

Peggy Shaffer
Library Development Coordinator
Lakeshores Library System

-"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -
Clarke's Third Law.