[WEB4LIB] RE: dreamweaver MX -- Auto Paragraph

Hurley, Michael MHURLEY at shrinenet.org
Wed Jun 5 09:58:31 EDT 2002

To voice an alternate point of view, I personally very much dislike <P>
tags. They have their uses I admit, but I can't begin to count the number of
times I've had a problem with layout placing/spacing which invariably came
down to an automatic set (one or more) of <P> tags being placed in the code.
One of the real joys of Dreamweaver has always been the ability to know that
the code you type will not be overwhelmingly "corrected" by the software.
Sometimes such "auto-correction" can save time, but with <P> tags I've had
more time wasted troubleshooting (my own and others' pages) than I ever had
saved by their auto-inclusion. I use them, but I like them to go where I
want them, not in every block of content. Beyond the use of any particular
tags though, I think we all like to assume that when we save a file, it
won't have "useful extras" automatically added by the software, only to
reveal themselves when the page is checked in a browser. Dreamweaver has
been pretty good at avoiding that in the past.

Michael Hurley
Shriners Hospitals for Children, Portland (OR)
mhurley at shrinenet.org