[WEB4LIB] Mozilla support at university libraries and computi ng centers

george at library.caltech.edu george at library.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 27 14:44:21 EDT 2002

We haven't made the conversion to Mozilla yet, but I have been sufficiently
pleased with the overall performance since 0.9.3 that I use Mozilla as my
primary web browser under Win2K.  (My 13-year old son took it upon himself
to download and install Mozilla on the iMacs at home.)

The only seemingly consistent flaws I've encountered:

 -- on Win2K, Mozilla 1.0 and 1.1 Alpha have an inability to access Kluwer
and Lippincott Williams & Wilkins online journals.  This may be a result of
the cookie-happy approach they have taken to implementing their journal
platform.

 -- on Mac OS9.?, the javascripts employed by Microsoft Outlook Exchange
server, for web access to email, fail to generate new windows for Reply or
Forward functions.

Accepting all cookies, on public workstations, may get around the ejournal
problem.  If so, I've recommended Mozilla as a replacement for Netscape in
the next round of library workstation builds.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
Caltech, 1-43
Pasadena, CA  91125-4300
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681