Analyzing OPAC logs

Peter Murray PMurray at law.uconn.edu
Sat Jun 1 22:28:50 EDT 2002

--On Thursday, May 30, 2002 12:01 PM -0700
"=?Windows-1252?Q?Fernando_G=F3mez?=" <fgomez at criba.edu.ar> wrote:
> First of all, thanks to the people who sent suggestions answering my
> posting.
>
> Now, could you please help me on this: our logs only record the IP
> numbers, so I find myself with thousands of them, in need of some kind
> of *batch* reverse DNS lookup. What do you suggest?

Before you start writing a log analyze from scratch, you might want to
investigate what other ones are out there.  An annotated list of log
analyzers can be found at
<http://www.uu.se/Software/Analyzers/Access-analyzers.html>.  Most of
the, I suspect, include some sort of batch reverse DNS lookup
capability.  I know the one I use (Analog) does that.

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Computer Services Librarian              W: 860-570-5233
University of Connecticut Law School             Hartford, Connecticut